To kick start our support of Pet Awareness month, we’ll start with a project called “Yellow Dog”.
The Yellow Dog Project was created to bring awareness to dogs who need space while training, recovering from surgery, or being rehabilitated.
Yellow Dog – Some dogs need space
If you see a dog with a YELLOW ribbon, bandanna or similar on the leash or on the dog, this is a dog which needs some space. Please, do not approach this dog or its people with your dog. They are indicating that their dog cannot be close to other dogs. How close is too close? Only the dog or his people know, so maintain distance and give them time to move out of your way.
Why might a dog need space?
There are many reasons why a dog may need space:
- – Maybe it has health issues
- – It may be a rescue dog being rehabilitated. The world can be a very scary place for these dogs.
- – It may have had a bad experience with another dog or is just not like the kind of friendly dogs which always want to say “Hi!”
- – A bitch may be in heat
- – The dog may be in training
- – It may be very old and arthritic
- – It may be very nervous or shy and other dogs cause it stress
In short, a yellow marker on a dog means it needs a some space.
Those of us who own these dogs appreciate your help and respect.
- ‘The Yellow Dog Project’ Sends Message (fox8.com)